Case Western Reserve University
University Info | School of Engineering Info | Exchange Student Info
Case Western Reserve University
- offers the #1 polymers/plastics engineering program in the U.S.
- has top bioengineering, materials engineering, and chemical engineering programs.
- hosts one of the largest university-based innovation centers in the world, think[box].
- is located in Cleveland, which offers easy and comprehensive public transportation, as well as many bicycle only lanes.
- Cleveland is home to NBA Cavaliers (Lebron James) and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, the second largest theater district in the U.S. (Playhouse Square), and CWRU sits in the second most cultured square mile in the U.S. (University Circle).
Case Western Reserve University is continually ranked among the country's top research universities, but its success is not bound by the numbers. The university's unique history supports an experience-based approach to education and inquiry that combines arts and humanities with science and technology. The university is associated with 16 Nobel Laureates. Other notable alumni include the creator of Gmail and the founder of craigslist. Be it through a renewed commitment to diversity or its many stories of innovation, Case Western Reserve is all about improving and enriching lives and imagining and influencing the future.
Case Western Reserve University is an urban campus located in University Circle, a 550-acre, park-like concentration of nearly 50 cultural, medical, educational, religious, and social service institutions located at the eastern edge of the city. Considered the second most cultured square mile in the United States, University Circle boasts the world-famous Cleveland Orchestra and Cleveland Museum of Art. The area takes its name from the turn-around for the trolley that in the late 18th century linked the campus area with Cleveland's downtown.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students: Accepted
- Graduate students: NOT Accepted
- Computer Science majors: Accepted
Students should have the equivalent of a 3.0 on a 4.0 GPA grade scale. Borderline students may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
English Proficiency Requirements
- Minimum TOEFL iBT score – 90
- Minimum IELTS score – 6.5
Fall, Spring, or Academic Year
Academic Calendar | Semester Dates (including exam period)
- Fall: late August to mid-December
- Spring: mid-January to early May
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering & Computer Science
- Engineering Physics
- Macromolecular Science & Engineering
- Materials Science & Engineering
- Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering
Course Descriptions | Schedule of Classes
Workload per Semester
Students can take up to 19 hours without needing an overload. While the normal course load for students is still 14-18 hours, you are able to enroll in up to 19 hours. Any schedule of more than 19 hours requires dean's approval.
Additional Application Materials
Case Western Reserve University accepts the Global E3 application as the final application. No additional CWRU application needs to be completed.
Acceptance packets will be expressed mailed within 5-10 business days of acceptance.
All exchange students are encouraged to live on campus. Students may request housing for either north or south campus residence halls. After students are admitted, they will be placed on the student checklist and given access to apply for housing.
Estimated Cost of Living
Typical Student Budget
Office Responsible for International Exchange Students
Center for International Affairs | firstname.lastname@example.org
From a settlement that began more than two centuries ago on the banks of the Cuyahoga River, greater Cleveland has grown into a metropolis of more than 2 million people. The heritage of this Great Lakes port includes industrial achievement as well as cultural and scientific advances. The Cleveland area is headquarters for many of the nation's major corporations. Known as a foodie and sports destination, Cleveland also boasts the Rock Hall of Fame.
Health care is another thriving Cleveland industry. Dozens of hospitals and medical centers are concentrated in the area. University Hospitals of Cleveland, the Cleveland Clinic, the MetroHealth Medical Center, and others are internationally recognized for outstanding patient care and contributions to medical research.
For more historical information regarding Case, University Circle or Cleveland, visit the online version of the Encyclopedia of Cleveland History.