University of Portland
University Info | School of Engineering Info | Office of International Student Services
University of Portland
- features small class settings (14:1 student-faculty ratio) and award-winning faculty.
- offers laboratory opportunities under direct faculty supervision.
- has 16 intercollegiate teams that compete at the highest level in team and individual sports such as soccer, basketball, rowing, track and tennis.
- campus is situated in a quiet residential neighborhood in Portland, overlooking the Willamette River in a lush and peaceful setting.
- The vibrant city of Portland is a gem of the Pacific Northwest, within numerous parks, restaurants, and festivals and easy access to the Coast, the Mountains, and various other excursions.
The University of Portland is a Catholic university of 4,000 students that has been guided by the Congregation of Holy Cross since our inception in 1901. The University of Portland is a diverse community of scholars, who come from around the nation and world, which fosters the development of the whole person through teaching and learning, faith and formation, and service and leadership.
The University of Portland’s Shiley School of Engineering ranked at no. 35 nationally for schools that offer bachelor’s and master’s degrees, according to the latest U.S. News & World Report Top 50 college rankings, the Shiley School is also ranks no. 18 nationally in “The Top 21 STEM Colleges of 2016” by Forbes.com.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students: Accepted
- Graduate students: NOT Accepted
- Computer Science majors: Accepted
- Students should have the equivalent of a 3.0 on a 4.0 GPA grade scale. Borderline students may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Prefer students to be in their third or fourth year of study during the exchange period.
English Proficiency Requirements
- Mininum TOEFL iBT score – 71
- Minimum IELTS score – 6.5
Fall, Winter, Spring, or Academic Year
Academic Calendar | Semester Dates (including exam period)
- Fall: Last Monday of August through the second week of December
- Spring: Mid-January to the first week of May
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Course Descriptions | Schedule of Classes
Engineering course descriptions by department:
Workload per Semester
Immigration regulations require students to enroll in a full-course load of study while participating in the University of Portland program. A minimum of 12 credits is required each semester. The average course load for undergraduate students is 15 credits.
Additional Application Materials
Students nominated by IIE to UP will need also need to submit the following.
- University of Portland application
- Official university transcripts
- English language exam score requirements (TOEFL or IELTS)
- Financial documents confirming total funds available for duration of study
Admission will be confirmed within one month of completed application. Applicants will receive university documents within three weeks from admission.
The University of Portland is primarily a residence-based campus. Most exchange students live on campus. Once an exchange student is admitted and has confirmed their enrollment, the Office of Residence Life will send a link for the housing application.
Estimated Cost of Living
Estimated Cost of Attendance
Portland is has a robust public transportation system, which includes buses, trains, and trolleys. Additionally, biking is very popular in the city with well mapped out bicycle lanes. Bicycles are available from the Beauchamp Recreational and Wellness Center at no cost.
Office Responsible for International Exchange Students
International Student Services | email@example.com
The University of Portland’s location in the City of Portland, in the State of Oregon, means students have easy access to the verdant forests, majestic mountains, rushing waterfalls, and dramatic coastline of the Pacific Northwest.
Portland is famous for its music scene, coffee shops, restaurants, art galleries, locally owned businesses, and environmental sensibility. Portland is also known for being a safe place to live and its public transportation, public parks, and access to the outdoors.
Drive 60 minutes outside of Portland, and you will find an incredible variety of landscapes and activities. Head west to explore the beaches of the Pacific Ocean, which stretch for 583 kilometers. Go to the southeast and find Mt. Hood, a rear-round destination for skiers, snowboarders, and hikers. The east is the Columbia Gorge, a national scenic area, perfect for windsurfing, hiking, photography, and more.