Mississippi State University
University Info | College of Engineering Info | Exchange Student Info
- As a leader in integrated computational materials engineering, MSU stands at the forefront of research of mechanical responses for the brain under car crashes, football concussions and military explosions.
- Mississippi State University athletic teams are called Bulldogs, a name earned and maintained over the decades by the tough, tenacious play by student-athletes wearing the maroon and white.
- Mississippi State’s student-led teams are developing the Car of the Future® – a lighter, greener, more cost-effective hybrid built on technologies that will lead to energy independence and environmental stewardship.
- The cowbell is the longstanding visual and auditory symbol of MSU pride, and MSU even holds the Guinness World Record for “The Most People Ringing Cowbells Simultaneously.”
- Solutions to world hunger and poverty are within reach at Mississippi State, where globally diversified teams are combining forces with the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations to eliminate starvation in developing countries.
Mississippi State University (MSU) enrolls more than 20,000 students, has about 1,000 faculty members, and approximately 4,000 full time employees. It is located in the eastern part of north-central Mississippi. Away from urban complexities, the community of Starkville and MSU provide a variety of intellectual, cultural, and recreational activities. For example: MSU is home to the highly-acclaimed Lyceum Series, attracting the best cultural talent from around the world; MSU participates in the exciting Southeastern Conference (SEC) that offers a wide variety intercollegiate sports action including MSU’s championship football, basketball, and baseball teams; and, MSU offers a variety of recreational opportunities in its large modern sports facility, playing fields, and neighboring forests, fields, and lakes.
MSU, established in 1878, is a comprehensive, doctoral-degree-granting, land-grant institution that has emerged as one of the region's and the nation's premier universities. It offers a diverse range of opportunities for learning and growth through eight colleges; they include: the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, College of Architecture, Art, and Design, College of Arts and Sciences, College of Business, College of Education, Bagley College of Engineering, College of Forest Resources, and College of Veterinary Medicine.
The Bagley College of Engineering (BCoE) at MSU has been at the forefront of education and research for more than 100 years. As one of approximately 40 named engineering colleges in the nation, the BCoE offers eleven undergraduate degree programs, twenty four graduate level programs, and seven certificate programs. There are over 3,500 undergraduate students and over 600 graduate students in the BCoE. The BCoE operates a wide variety of research centers and facilities.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students: Accepted
- Graduate students: Accepted
- Computer Science majors: Accepted
- Students should have the equivalent of a 2.5 on a 4.0 GPA grade scale. Borderline students may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Students must have a minimum of one year of study to be considered for the exchange period.
English Proficiency Requirements
- Minimum TOEFL iBT score – 79 (BCoE)
- Minimum IELTS score – overall band score of at least 6.5
Fall, Spring, or Academic Year
Academic Calendar | Semester Dates (including exam period)
- Fall: mid-August to mid-December
- Spring: early January to early May
- Aerospace Engineering
- Biological Engineering
- Biomedical Engineering (graduate only)
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computational Engineering (graduate only)
- Computer Engineering
- Computer Science
- Electrical Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Industrial and Systems Engineering (graduate only)
- Mechanical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Software Engineering
Course Descriptions | Schedule of Classes
Workload per Semester
For undergraduate students, the minimum number of credit hours per semester is 12 and the maximum is 19. A typical enrollment is about 15 credit hours per semester; however, it may be advisable for international students to take less credit hours. If the student’s schedule includes some graduate-level courses, then the total workload should be near 12 credit hours per semester.
Additional Application Materials
Students nominated by IIE to MSU must also submit the materials below.
- MSU Application (online)
- Application Fee
- Undergraduate students - $60
- Graduate students - $80
- Official transcripts
- Sponsor Declaration Form
- Sponsor’s bank statement
- English language proficiency test score
Recommendation letter from a professor or academic staff:
Students will usually receive their acceptance packet within a few weeks after all materials have been submitted.
On-campus housing is available to exchange students. Please contact MSU’s Global E3 campus representative for specifics.
Estimated Cost of Living
Cost of Attendance
Other administrative fees:
Exchange Student Fee – $200/semester
Capital Improvement Fee – $50/semester
Student Activities Fee – $5/semester
Medical Insurance – $738/semester
Chest X-Ray & Blood Test – $140
Transcript Fee – from $9.25 (exact pricing for order depends on options selected)
Office Responsible for International Exchange Students
International Admissions & Services
Global E3 Campus Representative:
Research Associate, International Programs Coordinator
Bagley College of Engineering
Phone: (662) 325-5878
The Starkville community offers a unique blend of old Southern charm and 21st century technology. Our growing economy is supported by a strong base of manufacturing and small businesses, as well as state-of-the-art research and technology companies. Starkville's assorted citizenry boasts not only native southerners, but "new southerners" from across the nation, university students, and a diverse international population. Starkville, Columbus, and West Point, form the Golden Triangle region of northeast Mississippi, encouraging greater economic ties between the three cities and counties.