Institut National des Sciences Appliquées, Lyon (INSA Lyon)
University Info | Exchange Student Info
- HIGH QUALITY AND INNOVATIVE EDUCATION
- Pedagogy by project
- Cutting-edge research
- Strong links with industries
- INTERNATIONAL OUTREACH
- International campus : 30 % of international students / 92 nationalities
- Courses taught in English
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS SUPPORT
- French as a Foreign language class available (summer and winter classes + all year)
- Academic advisor in each department dedicated to incoming students
- Student Health Centre and Student social service
- Disabled student support service
- CAMPUS LIFE
- On-campus residences
- 4 on-campus restaurants
- Over 130 students associations
- Many students festivals (24H de l’INSA : biggest students’ festival in France)
- LYON, BEST LOCATION FOR STUDENTS IN FRANCE
- #1 Best university city in France
- 2nd largest city in France and well-connected to European capitals
- US consulate and other Embassies
- UNESCO World Heritage classified
- High quality of life
INSA Lyon is amongst the greatest French universities for science and technology. Our five-year program, trains multi-skilled, humanist, innovative engineers equipped with an entrepreneurial spirit and a strong international culture. Diversity, excellence, openness and innovation are the driving forces that lead INSA Lyon students to become responsible engineers. After almost 60 years of existence INSA Lyon embodies an avant-garde and resolutely modern vision of engineering. INSA engineers boast excellent scientific and technical expertise, are capable of understanding the issues at the heart of their companies, and actively contribute to the evolution of their world. On the higher education scene, it ranks among the top 10 engineering schools in Europe. Its purpose is also to become a centre for research and innovation recognized throughout the world, a partner of choice for business and industry.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students: Accepted*
- Graduate students: Accepted
- Computer Science majors: Accepted
- Students should have the equivalent of a 2.5 on a 4.0 GPA grade scale. Borderline students may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Students must be in their third, fourth or fifth year of study during the exchange period.
*3rd, 4th and 5th year students
Research projects and work experience program available with all INSA departments.
Language of Instruction
French and English
Fall, Spring, or Academic Year
Academic Calendar | Semester Dates (including exam period)
- Autumn Semester: September to January
- Spring Semester: February to June
The IST semester with courses taught entirely in English runs for 12 weeks from mid-September to December.
- Biochemistry and Biotechnologies
- Bioinformatics and Modelling
- Civil Engineering and Urbanism
- Electrical Engineering
- Energy and Environmental Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Information Technology
- Telecommunications & Computer Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
Details In French | Details In English
Students must take at least 60% of their courses in one of the nine departments.
Workload per Semester
15 ECTS credits minimum
Additional Application Materials
Students nominated by IIE to INSA Lyon are also required to complete and submit their application on MoveOn.
Recommendation letter from a professor or academic staff:
Students will receive their acceptance packet upon acceptance by departments.
Complete the housing application form and attach the form in your online INSA Lyon application.
Estimated Cost of Living
Housing – 350 € - 600 € per month (+ deposit + general fees)
Local transportation – monthly travel rate campus 31€ (student under 28 years old)
Health Insurance – All international INSA Lyon students must subscribe to accident and health insurance, valid upon arrival in France. The Incoming Mobility Team can provide you with the right contacts. Good coverage cost is a minimum of 200 - 315 €.
International Agreements: International Relations Office
Contact: Coline PERAIRE, firstname.lastname@example.org
European and International Affairs
34, avenue des Arts
69621 Villeurbanne CEDEX
In-coming Exchange Student Staff: Registrar’s Office
Contact: Magdalena CORNECI – email@example.com
Incoming Mobility Team
8 allée du Rhône
69621 Villeurbanne CEDEX
When you choose Lyon, you choose one of the most attractive cities in Europe, an international competitor and a gateway to the rest of the world. Being France’s 2nd most important city, it is located in the heart of the thriving Auvergne-Rhône-Alpes region. The city was classified as World Heritage Site by UNESCO in 1998. Ancient capital of the Gauls, it testifies of 2000 years of history. Lyon has been recognized as France’s1st city for culture outside of Paris and is indeed characterized above all by the balance between its cultural institutions of excellence offering quality programming, its large-scale festivals, and its cultural venues open to all. With its many fields of excellence, Lyon is a major international hub: LifeSciences, Cleantechnologies,Tertiary sector, ITC to name a few.The city is also home to internationally-renowned companies and major players, including: Sanofi, Mérial, Lafarge,GL Events, BankofChina, SolvayRhodia. In addition, many world-renowned organizations have chosen Lyon as the location for their headquarters: Handicap International, World Health Organization,CIRC (International Cancer Research Center), Interpol, Euronews. Lyon is also a favorite city for foreign students who represent 10% of the student population in Lyon and strengthen the city’s international character.