Université de Technologie de Troyes (UTT)
University Info | Exchange Student Info
- Laboratory research opportunities under tutored supervision for undergraduate and graduate students in English
- Safe and quiet environment with a cost of living a lot lower than larger French cities
- 90 minutes from Paris by train
- 15 minutes by bus from the historic town centre
- Troyes is home to many great French culinary traditions and famous clothing brand names
UTT is located in Troyes, medieval town, 90 minutes away from Paris, in the heart of the Champagne region.
UTT is a French institution of higher education established in 1994. Our core missions are to conduct research, deliver education & training and facilitate technology transfer. UTT is today one of the largest engineering schools in France. Nearly 3,000 students are registered at the University, enrolled in undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral study programs.
UTT offers seven engineering programs accredited by France's independent engineering degree accreditation body, the CTI, and EUR-ACE certified (European Accreditation of Engineering Programmes). UTT belongs to a network of universities of technology with UTC-l’ Université de Technologie de Compiègne and UTBM-l’ Université de Technologie de Belfort-Montbéliard.
Facts and Figures
- 3,000 students
- 180 PhD students
- 24% of foreign students from more than 50 different countries
- 4,500 graduate engineers
- 7 engineering degree programs (at Master’s level)
- 1 master's degree program with 10 specializations
- 1 PhD program with choice of 5 specializations
- 183 international university partnerships
- 95% of our students spend an average of 9 months abroad
- 165 lecturers and researchers
- 210 administrative staff
- 8 research teams based at the Charles Delaunay Institute
- 60 technology transfer contracts per year
- 3,000 business partners
- 40 student clubs and associations
- 90% of students are active members of sports clubs
- €40M budget
- 35,000 m² of facilities
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students: Accepted
- Graduate students: Accepted
Students must have completed at least one full year of higher education studies prior to the exchange period.
Language of Instruction
Most courses are taught in French, but sometimes courses are taught in English or English and French.
Language Proficiency Requirements
No French level required to attend courses in English.
B1 European level in French required to attend courses in French.
Students may come for Spring semester or Academic Year
It is possible to come for the Fall semester only, but students would need to stay until the end of January in order to take the exams.
Some on-campus research positions are proposed each semester. Students who stay for a whole academic year may look for an internship in a company for the second semester.
Academic Calendar | Semester Dates (including exam period)
- Summer school: August
- Regular courses: early September – 3rd week of January
- Winter school: 4th week of January to 3rd week of February
- Regular courses: end of February – end of June
The courses (tuition fees) during summer and winter schools are free of charge for students coming for a period of exchange.
Students can also apply for the winter and summer schools without applying for an exchange period. In this case, the courses are free of charge depending on the exchange balance. We usually consider that 1 UTT student going to a partner university for 1 semester of exchange is equivalent to 3 students coming from the partner university in a winter or Summer school.
5-year Engineering degrees (Master’s level):
- Control and Computer Engineering
- Industrial Systems
- Materials Science and Technology
- Mechanical Systems
- Software and Information Systems
- Systems, Networks and Telecommunications
Restricted Disciplines and Courses
- Materials and Mechnical Engineering courses are not available to exchange students at UTT.
- Control and Computer Engineering classes from the 5th to the 10th semesters are delivered in Reims (1.5 hours by car).
Visiting students can select and mix courses from any majors under the conditions that the courses are available for the given semester and compatible with the university’s timetable.
Although most of the teaching is conducted in French, some of the courses are taught in English.
Catalogue of Courses | Courses in English (or French & English)
Courses Timetables (Schedule of Classes)
This information is not accessible to students. Registration of exchange students into the courses is made by UTT international center staff. Students have access to their own schedule at the beginning of the semester.
Workload per Semester
The UTT has adopted the European Transfer Credit System (ECTS) and its grading scale. ECTS credits are a value allocated to course units to describe the student workload required. Each credit course at UTT is worth 4 or 6 ECTS.
30 credits represent the workload of a semester of study (60 credits = one year). Exchange students have the opportunity to take 10 ECTS credits during the Winter or Summer program (French intensive + Project management) and then take 20 ECTS credits during the regular semester. We suggest that students select 1 or 2 additional courses in case of modifications when school starts (schedule problem, course cancelled, etc.).
Additional Application Materials
Students nominated by IIE to UTT must complete the application on the online portal and upload all required documents. The portal includes information and application for French intensive course, accommodation, arrival information, etc.
Recommendation letter from a professor or academic staff:
Acceptance packets including certificate for visa application are mailed to students’ home universities between 2 to 4 weeks after receiving a complete application.
UTT assists students in finding accommodation provided students select the relevant option in their application form. Accommodation can be found on campus or in town center.
Estimated Cost of Living
Regular Living Expenses – Average 550€ per month
Academic expenses (e.g., books, stationery) – Approximately 100€ per semester.
Personal expenses – Depends on each individual.
Other administrative fees
- Sports Union: 23€/semester
- Student Union: 20€ for 1 semester or 30€ for 2 semesters[n1]
- Insurance for accommodation and civil liability are also compulsory and have to be subscribed in France.
- Health insurance coverage is free.
- All students have to subscribe to a national student plan which costs about 90€ (more details to come)
Office Responsible for International Exchange Students
International Center | firstname.lastname@example.org
Troyes tourism office (in English)
Troyes city (in French)
City of Troyes
- Medieval town, old city center
- Medium-size lively, friendly city.
- Population of 120,000 (Greater Troyes)
- Student population of 9,000
- 1:30 hours from Paris
- A rich cultural heritage
- Close to the extensive Forêt d’Orient natural park and lake (swimming, boating, jet skiing…)
- 12,000 acres of lakes
- Champagne vineyards (17,000 acres)
- Many leading fashion brands available at factory prices
- Cultural and musical events