Universidad Pontificia Comillas
University Info | School of Engineering Info
- GRADUATION: tailored-made US pre-approved courses and a wide-range of courses in English which guarantee no delays
- CALENDAR: semesters and summer totally US-compatible
- INTEGRATION: buddy system, language and culture courses
- RESEARCH: laboratory opportunities under tutored supervision
- HOUSING: assistance service and varied accommodation opportunities within walking distance
- EXPERIENCE: urban campus in the safe and vibrant city of Madrid, which offers countless leisure, sports and culture offerings, such as the “El Prado” National Museum, the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum and the Queen Sofia Center for the Arts”
The Universidad Pontificia Comillas was founded in 1890 and is directed by the Society of Jesus, the Jesuits. It is one of the 90 Universities which the Jesuits possess around the world, along with another 500 secondary education institutions. Located in Madrid, it offers students an excellent opportunity for personal, professional and social development.
The University has a style of its own, backed by a rich humanistic and educational tradition, and is characterized by the search for excellence in both pedagogical methods and the final results obtained. Students at COMILLAS study and learn in an environment of mutual respect, with high and demanding standards, close inter-personal relations, a deep understanding of the study materials and a desire for personal improvement, which enables them to become active members of our society.
Besides the courses available in pursuit of a degree, a wide range of opportunities to develop a spirit of constructive criticism is offered: through debates, cultural groups, meetings with students with a variety of professional interests and through a productive, enriching international environment at both a human and cultural level.
At COMILLAS, university work is understood not only as a transmission of knowledge, but also as a search for a way to understand existence itself and the manner in which professional skills can help and serve society. We aim to help students develop their potential as persons, in the hope that each individual will form his or her own independent critical approach to issues and develop a sense of solidarity with society and other people.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students: Accepted
- Graduate students: Accepted
- Research students: Accepted
- Computer Science students: Accepted
- No GPA restrictions apply. We rely on partner discretion and/or criteria.
- Students must be at least Sophomores during their exchange at COMILLAS.
Language of Instruction
Students should have basic "survival" knowledge of Spanish, unless they do decide to take some courses in Spanish, which would require sufficient knowledge, besides all those we offer in English as well.
- Semester (either Fall, Spring or extended Spring)
- Full Academic Year (Fall + Spring)
Academic Calendar | Semester Dates (including exam period)
First semester (Fall Term)
- Start (classes): early September
- End (classes): early December
- End (exams): mid/late December (right before Christmas)
Second semester (Spring Term)
- Start (classes): mid-January
- End (classes): late April
- End (exams): mid/late May (end of April for SAPIENS-only classes)
Note: Makeup exams: mid- to late June
There are two long holiday periods: Christmas (normally from December 21/22/23 until January 7/8/9) and Easter Week (one week in March or April).
Official holidays, both national and local, please check the following calendars:
Global Comillas calendar | ICAI (Engineering) specific calendar
- Industrial Engineering Program (4-year B.Sc. & 2-year M.Sc.)
- B.Sc. in Industrial Technologies Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering major
- Electrical Engineering major
- Industrial Electronics Engineering major
- Management Engineering major (Dual version with BBA)
- M.Sc. Industrial Engineering
- Dual version with MBA
- Dual version with MEPI (Electric Power Industry)
- Dual version with MIC (Smart Industry)
- Telecommunications Engineering Program (4-year B.Sc. & 2-year M.Sc.)
- B.Sc. Telecommunication Technologies Engineering
- Dual version with BBA
- Dual version with Business Analytics
- M.Sc. Telecommunications Engineering
Spring and Summer COMILLAS all-English SAPIENS Programs
All-English SAPIENS program is offered to all of our Global E3 partners.
The “Fundamental Engineering Courses” are those that the Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Boston University, University of Maryland and UMICH (summer-only) have asked us to host, based on their very own syllabi, and being these subjects common to most of their Engineering majors in their Sophomore Spring semester (several juniors too). The “Technological Courses” are the ones we ourselves offer as technical electives in English to our very own seniors and the rest of our inbound exchange students. The “Culture and Language” courses are a perfect complement to any combination of the previous courses, and other foreign languages (i.e. German, French, etc.) are fully available to any student participating in our SAPIENS program.
If you need more information (i.e. subjects’ syllabi, etc.), you can contact Alberto Zanmatti at email@example.com. All of these subjects have their “short” descriptors (just click on the little [+] at the bottom of each chart).
Students do not need to limit their choices to our SAPIENS, since they are welcome to sign up for our standard engineering subjects taught in Spanish (several of which are taught in English as well) if they deem their command of Spanish is sufficient enough.
The major difference between this SAPIENS we are offering and other “typical” study-abroad programs, is that students from all over the US, other English-speaking countries, and our very own local students with proper command of English will get to interact with each other, thus creating a wonderful multi-cultural environment and learn from each others’ experiences.
Restricted Disciplines and Courses
- Students must preferably be Juniors for consideration in graduate-level courses.
- Students must preferably be Seniors for consideration in MBA-level courses.
Courses should be selected from within the offering of the School of Engineering. Other courses are not guaranteed and are beyond our control.
Workload per Semester
The Spanish Educational System:
Standard full-time is 20 contact hours/week (30 ECTS/semester or 60 ECTS/year).
Additional Application Materials
Students nominated by IIE to COMILLAS will be contacted to complete the COMILLAS online application and provide additional materials.
Recommendation letter from a professor or academic staff:
- Optional for Global E3 Application. Letter of recommendation may be required by host university as part of the host university application process.
Acceptance letters for visa-requiring students are issued and airmailed within a month of the student’s nomination to COMILLAS.
COMILLAS does not have its own on-campus lodging, rather, it does have an official outsources company which is very efficient and reliable.
The three most common housing options:
- Living with a family (Homestay)
- Living in a private hall of residence (Student dorm)
- Living in a flat or apartment (shared or alone)
Office Responsible for International Engineering Exchange Students
Comillas Pontifical University
Emergency Number: +34-647-319-715
ICAI School of Engineering: firstname.lastname@example.org
International Relations Coordinator: Alberto Zanmatti – email@example.com
Incoming Officer: Ela Daineaunu – firstname.lastname@example.org
ICAI – U. P. Comillas
c/ Alberto Aguilera 25
28015 – Madrid (SPAIN)
Madrid, the capital of Spain, is a cosmopolitan city with more than four million inhabitants. It is the site of the Spanish government and is the most important financial and cultural center in the country. The cultural, leisure and sports offering is rich and varied. It has countless theaters and museums, such as the "El Prado" National Museum, the Thyssen-Bornemisza Museum and the Queen Sofía Center for the Arts. Monuments, exhibits, and concert halls dot the city. Moreover, in Madrid, over 43 parks and emblematic green areas such as the Retiro Park, the "Casa de Campo" Recreational Park or the Sabatini Gardens can be enjoyed.