Universiti Teknologi Petronas
Bandar Seri Iskandar, Tronoh, Perak, MALAYSIA
University Info | Exchange Student Info
- 1st private university in Malaysia accredited by Standards Malaysia for its Universal Testing Machine Laboratory. 1st University in Asia to have a Virtual Lab.
- Top Teaching & Learning University. With a Tier 6 SETARA 2017 (Discipline-based rating system) status, UTP provides outstanding teaching and learning as well as research and innovation opportunities.
- Located in one of Asia’s most attractive regions. Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2017 named Perak as one of the world’s top 10 regions for the year, placing the state in the same company as Taranaki in New Zealand and The Azores in Portugal. Perak hosts myriad historical, architectural, natural and gastronomic delights, which our students and teaching staff discover during weekends and term breaks.
- Our 400-hectare campus site is surrounded by verdant hills and dotted with lakes. We take pride in our campus design from the open spaces to well-designed and connected networks of indoor and outdoor spaces.
- 100% student accommodation on campus with 1,500 beds and 3,000 more on the way.
Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP) was established on January 10, 1997 when PETRONAS was invited by the Malaysian government to set up a university.
The campus is built on a 400-hectare (1,000 acre) site strategically located at Bandar Seri Iskandar, Perak Darul Ridzuan, Malaysia. The University is a wholly-owned subsidiary of PETRONAS, the national oil company of Malaysia.
The University community comprises of students and staff from various countries and is located in a beautifully landscaped setting, amidst the new township of Seri Iskandar. Its peaceful environment, wide open spaces and abundant lakes make these serene surroundings an ideal place to study.
At University Teknologi PETRONAS (UTP) our goal is to produce leaders of the future, graduates who are not only brain-smart but well rounded, wholesome individuals who will contribute towards making the world a better place.
And so at UTP we guide you to become technically competent, to think critically, to communicate and relate with people and the world around you. We lead you to become solution oriented individuals with good business sense, a positive can-do attitude and practical know-how in various aspects.
As a university specializing in engineering and technology programmes, strongly supported by Research and Development, UTP works hand-in-glove with industry players to ensure that we would and lead our graduates to become relevant to industry. In turn, our students are exposed to real-world environments, situations and needs.
Ours is a melting pot of cultures and lifestyles as we group together students from the world over. And we believe that education should cross borders as the world becomes a global village of citizens working for a better tomorrow.
We welcome you to join us for a new learning adventure, to expand your horizons through a different educational experience here in Malaysia with us.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students: Accepted
- Graduate students: Accepted
- Computer Science majors: NOT Accepted
- Open to all full-time undergraduate or postgraduate students with a minimum CGPA of 2.75 or equivalent.
- Financially stable and can afford the support the entire cost incurred during the programme
- Nominated by home university
- Excellent co-curricular and good disciplinary record
Language of Instruction
English Proficiency Requirements
- Minimum IELTS score of 5.0 / CEFR B1
- Minimum TOEFL PBT (410-413) / IBT (34)
- Minimum Cambridge English: Advance (CAE) (160) / CEFR B2 / CPE (180)
- Minimum Pearson Test of English (PTE) score 36
- Minimum MUET (Malaysian University English Test) Band 3
Fall (September-January), Spring (January-May), or Academic Year
Academic Calendar | Semester Dates (including exam period)
- Fall (September Semester): early September to early January
- Spring (January Semester): early January to early May
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Computer Engineering
- Electrical & Electronics Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Petroleum Engineering
- Business Information Systems
- Information & Communication Technology
- Petroleum Geoscience
- Applied Chemistry
- Applied Physics
Students must have completed at least one year at their home university.
Workload per Semester
All full time students must register a minimum of 12 credit hours in a particular semester. Normally student will take between 15 – 18 credit hours per semester. However, this ruling may be waived for graduating students who are in their final semester.
Additional Application Materials
Students must also apply online:
Recommendation letter from a professor or academic staff:
Students will receive their acceptance packet at least one month before departure.
On-campus housing is available. All residential village rooms are twin sharing rooms.
Estimated Cost of Living
There are 14 cafeterias operating at strategic locations in the campus – i.e. near student villages, student centre and lecture halls. There are few cafeterias serving western foods. Food prices are being closely monitored by the management and are affordable to the students. Students are not allowed to cook in the hostel rooms. Alternatively, there are pantry areas that can be utilized. We suggest that incoming students to allocate USD200-250 per month for their meals.
Hostel rental rate is USD 118 per month (twin sharing air conditioned room)
Public transportation like buses and taxis are available outside the campus to the nearest town like Batu Gajah (20 mins.), Sitiawan (45 mins.), Ipoh City (45 mins). Train services to Kuala Lumpur are available from Batu Gajah town (2 ½ hours with Electric Train Service).
Personal & Academic Expenses
Living Allowance: approx. USD 130/month
Books: approx. USD 200/year
Stationary: approx. USD 40/year
Note: Personal expenses varies with individual students. Alternatively, books are available at the Information Resource Centre (university library).
Office Responsible for International Exchange Students
Centre for Student Development (CSD)
Universiti Teknologi Petronas
Bandar Seri Iskandar
32610 Seri Iskandar
Perak Darul Ridzuan
D/L: 605-3688380, 605-3688388, 605-3688396
Social Media Account: @csdmobility
Bandar Seri Iskandar where the university is located situated 40km south-west of Ipoh, the capital city of Perak state and 50km north east of Lumut, site of the nation’s well-known naval base. Bandar Seri Iskandar features the best of both worlds – modern development and natural environment. Bandar Seri Iskandar is currently being developed as the education hub of Perak.
Ipoh is the capital of the state of Perak. It is approximately 200 km (125 miles) north of Kuala Lumpur via the North-South Expressway. Ipoh developed into one of Malaysia's main cities due to the booming tin mining industry around the turn of the 19th century. During the British colonial era, Ipoh was Malaysia's second city for administration purposes. There are several notable buildings from the British Colonial era such as the railway station and the town hall.
Ipoh features a tropical rainforest climate. Similar to many other cities with this climate, temperatures show little variation throughout the course of the year. The city's average temperature is 27 degrees Celsius. Ipoh sees plentiful precipitation throughout the year, averaging 2340 mm of rain per year. Its wettest month is November where on average 320 mm of rain is seen per year. Ipoh's driest month is February which sees 70 mm of rain fall on average.
Perak Darul Ridzuan is the state of ageless architectural splendors, island resorts, virgin tropical forests, national recreational park and a wealth of specialized museums, the state offers a little something special for everyone.