Seoul Campus – Seoul, SOUTH KOREA
ERICA Campus – Ansan, SOUTH KOREA
University Info | Exchange Student Info
- is the first engineering school in Korea and one of the best engineering schools in terms of ranking.
- hosts a university-based industry center – e.g. Chung Mong-koo Automotive Research Center (Hyundai) on the Seoul campus.
- is located in the heart of Seoul, capital city, and is the only University where the subway station is located on campus.
- invites more than 4,500 international students per year for degree, and long and short term programs.
- offers an International Summer Program after the semester program.
Hanyang University is a private research university in South Korea. The main campus is in Seoul, and the second one, the Education Research Industry Cluster at Ansan, or ERICA campus is located in Ansan. The name ‘Hanyang’ derives from the former name of the capital city (current Seoul) during the Chosun Dynasty. Its founding philosophy is Love in Deed and Truth, and educational philosophy is to cultivate graduates equipped with the virtues of diligence, honesty, humility and service. Dr. ‘Paikman’ Kim Lyun-joon established the nation’s first engineering institute (DongA Engineering Institute) in 1939 which became the founding facility of Hanyang University, and the institute is reorganized into Hanyang University 1959. Hanyang University has high competitiveness in a field of engineering with alumni network of 300,000 working in various fields. This leads to gain its nickname ‘Engine of Korea’, throughout 70 years of its history.
Hanyang University currently has 15 colleges and 60 departments on Seoul campus, and 8 colleges and 40 departments on ERICA campus. The university also has 21 graduate schools as well. Hanyang University has international partnerships with around 700 universities in 70 countries and over 2500 degree seeking foreign students study in Hanyang University each year. It has ranked 151th in 2018 QS World University Rankings, 62th. The World’s Most Innovative Universities by Reuters. In 2016 university rankings by JoongAng Ilbo, one of the most renowned newspapers in Korea, Seoul campus was ranked 2nd and ERICA campus was ranked 8th.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students: Accepted
- Graduate students: Accepted *graduate students may apply but may only take undergraduate-level courses*
- Computer Science majors: Accepted
- Students should have the equivalent of a 2.4 on a 4.0 GPA grade scale (over 60%). Borderline students may be considered on a case-by-case basis. (Minimum CGPA must be over 60% in home university grading system)
- Students must complete at least one semester and be able to submit the official transcript when they submit the online application.
Language of Instruction
Korean and English
The main language is Korean, but we do offer courses taught in English. Overall, 30% of all courses are taught in English and approx. 15% of courses in Engineering College are taught in English.
English Proficiency Requirements
The minimum scores of acceptable tests are below. Exceptions to the requirement are students from universities in English-speaking countries (US, Canada except Quebec, UK, Australia, Iceland, and New Zealand).
- TOEFL iBT – 72
- IELTS – 5.5
- TOEFL ITP – 543
- TOEIC – 785
- CEFRL – B2
Fall, Spring, or Academic Year
Academic Calendar | Semester Dates (including exam period)
- Fall: early September to mid-December
- Spring: early March to mid-June
- Division of Chemical Engineering
- Division of Bioengineering
- Department of Urban Planning and Engineering
- Division of Materials Science and Engineering
- Department of Energy Engineering
- Department of Automotive Engineering
- Department of Earth Resources and Environmental Engineering
- Department of Chemical Engineering
- Division of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Computer Science
- Department of Architectural Engineering
- Department of Electronic Engineering
- Department of Nuclear Engineering
- Department of Information System
- Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
- Division of Electrical and Biomedical Engineering
- Department of Organic and Nano Engineering
- Department of Industrial Engineering
- Division of Smart Convergence Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Department of Industrial and Management Engineering
- Department of Bionano Engineering
- Department of Transportation and Logistics Engineering
- Department of Civil & Environment Engineering
- Department of Robot Engineering
- Department of Integrative Engineering
- Department of Military Information Engineering
- Division of Electrical Engineering
- Department of Materials Science and Chemical Engineering
Restricted Disciplines and Courses
Global Techno Graduate School of Business, Graduate School of Technology & Innovation Management, Graduate School of Urban Studies are not available to exchange students at Hanyang University.
Please click below to check the list of English taught courses and course descriptions.
Course Search and Syllabi
English Course List is available about a month prior to new semester. Please refer to previous year’s English Course List before the new list becomes available. The number and contents change slightly every year.
Workload per Semester
Students are allowed to take up to 20 credits. Most Hanyang University courses are 3 credits.
Additional Application Materials
We will send the online application instruction email directly to nominated students from GE3. After we review your application, we will send students Certificate of Admission, essential for making visa, after they are uploaded online.
- Official Transcript
- ID Picture
- Passport Photocopy
- International Health Insurance Certificate (or students must apply for Korean Insurance)
Recommendation letter from a professor or academic staff:
Students will receive their acceptance packet:
- For spring semester – before mid-January
- For fall semester – before mid-June
Please note that on-campus housing is not available due to circumstances including COVID-19. Instead, we will provide useful/helpful information students can refer to when arranging a housing upon acceptance through a newsletter (Including recommended options). It is very convenient in Korea to arrange a housing even from abroad.
Estimated Cost of Living
Food/meals – 300 ~ 400 USD
Housing – 500 ~ 600 USD
Local transportation – 70 USD
Academic expenses (e.g., books, stationery) – 50 ~ 80 USD
Personal expenses – 300 ~ 600 USD
Other administrative fees – none
Office Responsible for International Exchange Students
Office of International Affairs | firstname.lastname@example.org
Seoul (Seoul Campus)
Seoul is the capital and largest city of South Korea. A megacity with a population of over 10 million, it is one of the largest cities in the world. The Seoul National Capital Area is the world's second largest metropolitan area with over 24.5 million inhabitants, which includes the Incheon metropolis and most of Gyeonggi province. Almost half of South Korea's population live in the Seoul National Capital Area, and nearly a quarter in Seoul itself, making it the country's foremost economic, political, and cultural center.
Seoul has been a major settlement for over 2,000 years, with its foundation dating back to 18 B.C. when Baekje, one of the Three Kingdoms of Korea, established its capital in what is now south-east Seoul. It continued as the capital of Korea during the Joseon Dynasty and the Korean Empire. The Seoul National Capital Area is home to four UNESCO World Heritage Sites: Changdeokgung, Hwaseong Fortress, Jongmyo Shrine and the Royal Tombs of the Joseon Dynasty.
Today, Seoul is considered to be a leading global city, ranking among the top ten global cities in the Global Cities Index of 2010. It is one of the world's top ten financial and commercial centers, home to major multinational conglomerates such as Samsung, LG and Hyundai-Kia. In 2008, Seoul was named the world's sixth most economically powerful city by Forbes.
Seoul has a highly technologically advanced infrastructure. Its Digital Media City is the world's first complex for IT and multimedia applications. Seoul was the first city to feature DMB, a digital mobile TV technology and WiBro, a wireless high-speed mobile internet service. It has a fast, high-penetration 100Mbps fiber-optic broadband network, which is being upgraded to 1Gbps by 2012. Seoul Station houses the 350 km/h KTX bullet train and the Seoul Subway is the third largest in the world, with over 200 million passengers every year. Seoul is connected via AREX to Incheon International Airport, rated as the best airport in the world by Airports Council International.
Seoul hosted the 1988 Summer Olympics, 2002 FIFA World Cup and the 2010 G-20 Seoul summit. The city was named the World Design Capital for 2010 by the International Council of Societies of Industrial Design.
Ansan City (ERICA Campus)
Ansan is a city in Gyeonggi Province, South Korea. It lies south of Seoul, and is part of the Seoul National Capital Area. It is connected to Seoul by rail via Seoul Subway Line 4.
Ansan is situated on the coast of the Yellow Sea (locally called West Sea. Portions of various Yellow Sea islands lie within its jurisdiction. The largest and best-known of these is Daebu Island.
Several institutions of higher learning are located in Ansan. They include Ansan College, Ansan College of Technology, Seoul Institute of the Arts, and a campus of Hanyang University.
The city is also home to National League soccer club Ansan Hallelujah.
The Korea Transportation Safety Authority, a government agency of South Korea, is headquartered in Ansan.