Santa Clara University
Santa Clara, CA
University Info | School of Engineering Info | Exchange Student Info
Santa Clara University
- location in the heart of Silicon Valley blends high-tech innovation with a social consciousness.
- School of Engineering is dedicated to promoting diversity among undergraduates to encourage minorities and women in STEM.
- is home to an exciting Maker Lab where students can learn to use and access tools such as 3D printers, laser cutters, and circuit board fabricators.
- is ranked No. 2 on the 2017 "Best Regional Universities (West)" rankings in U.S. News and World Report.
- is adjacent to San Jose, the 10th largest city in the U.S.
Santa Clara University aspires to create a learning and service community which promotes competence, conscience, and compassion among students, faculty, and staff. Embedded within these goals is a mandate to pursue scholarly understanding and constructive engagement with the world.
Founded in 1912, the School of Engineering educates tomorrow's technical leaders in small and rigorous classes taught by expert faculty members. The undergraduate program is ranked among the nation's top 30 engineering schools; the outstanding graduate program offers master's and Ph.D. degrees.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students: Accepted
- Graduate students: NOT Accepted
- Computer Science majors: Accepted (Courses must be outside of the Dept. of Computer Engineering. See Restricted Disciplines and Courses.)
Students should have the equivalent of a 3.0 on a 4.0 GPA grade scale in math, science and engineering courses.
English Proficiency Requirements
- Minimum TOEFL iBT score – 90
- Minimum IELTS score – 6.5
Also accepted are the following tests and their minimum scores:
- iTEP – 4.5
- Pearson score – 61
- SAT Critical Reading – 630
Fall Quarter Preferred
If students want to come for the equivalent of a spring semester they need to apply for winter/spring quarters. The winter quarter starts in early January and spring quarter ends mid/late June.
Academic Calendar | Term Dates (including exam period)
- Fall quarter: mid-September to mid-December
- Winter quarter: early January to late March
- Spring quarter: early April to mid-June
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Web Design & Engineering
Restricted Disciplines and Courses
Due to capacity issues, courses in the department of Computer Engineering are not open to exchange students.
Course Descriptions | Schedule of Classes usually posed 2-4 weeks before start of quarter
If you have questions about courses, please contact Sara Branley, Assistant Director of Study Abroad, Global Engagement Office.
Workload per Term
For your J-1 student visa you are required to take a minimum of 12 units, up to a maximum of 19 units. Most undergraduate classes are either 4 or 5 units.
Additional Application Materials
Students nominated by IIE to SCU are also required to complete SCU's application and submit supplemental materials.
Recommendation letter from a professor or academic staff:
Timeline may vary for receipt of acceptance packets. Acceptances are sent out upon review and approval of a student's application by the School of Engineering.
On-campus housing is available to exchange students.
Estimated Cost of Living
Estimated Expenses (Direct costs are covred through exchange agreement)
- On-campus: Single $5,031 - $6,830 per quarter / Double $3,770 - $4,970 per quarter
- Off-campus: $1,500 - $2,000/month
BART (Bay Area Rapid Transport) from San Francisco/Oakland area, Cal Train, VTA, (local bus service), Taxi Services
Office Responsible for International Exchange Students
Global Engagement Office | firstname.lastname@example.org
Santa Clara University is located in Santa Clara, CA. Santa Clara is closely bordered by San Jose, CA. Once a small farming city, San Jose experienced rapid growth from the 1950s to the present. San Jose is now the largest city in the San Francisco Bay Area. San Jose is the third-largest city in California, the tenth-largest in the United States, and the county seat of Santa Clara County. It is located at the southern end of San Francisco Bay. San José has a world-renowned quality of life, offering a wide variety of exciting cultural, recreational, and educational and entertainment opportunities. In addition, the City of San José has a marvelous ethnic diversity and a beautiful climate. The university is located about 10 minutes from the San Jose International Airport the best airport for students to arrive and depart from. The university is also only about 10 minutes (or less) from downtown San Jose.