University of Twente
Enschede, THE NETHERLANDS
University Info | Exchange Student Info
Schools of Engineering
Faculty of Engineering Technology
Faculty of Science and Technology
Faculty of Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science
Faculty of Behavioural Sciences, Management and Social Sciences
Faculty of Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation
University of Twente
- is a top 200 globally-ranked university (in top 1% worldwide).
- is a #1 university for entrepreneurship in the Netherlands, for the fourth time in a row (ScienceWorks 2019).
- has over 100 student associations on campus.
- is the only true campus university in the Netherlands.
- offers laboratory research opportunities under tutored supervision.
- hosts the largest nanotechnology laboratory in Europe.
The University of Twente offers research and degree programs in the social and behavioral sciences and in engineering. The University of Twente, while relatively small-scale, is one of the world’s leading universities which is reflected in the university’s top 200 ranking. Our tagline, ‘High Tech, Human Touch’, reflects how our students and faculty members engage not only in developing pioneering technologies, but also in combining them with behavioral research, social sciences and economics.
Education at the University of Twente revolves around several core principles: a multidisciplinary, project-based approach, student-driven learning in which the needs of the student are the focus, and peer-based learning in which the learning environment is more natural and where students learn from each other.
The campus of the University of Twente is where students and staff live, work and study. All education and research buildings of the university are grouped together on an area of approximately 1 km wide and 1.5 km long (approx. 0,5 mile x 1 mile) at the west side of the city of Enschede. The park-like campus home to several shops, sport & cultural clubs, cafés, and restaurants, and is only 15 min away from the city center by bike.
The University of Twente seeks to improve knowledge transfer and was voted no. 1 Dutch university in this area: recognizing the university’s ability to create economic and social value from scientific knowledge. Strong ties with businesses and focus on entrepreneurial education, as well as encouragement and support of local start-ups and spin-offs, have created a business incubation environment at the University of Twente.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students accepted: Yes
- Graduate students accepted: Yes
- Computer Science majors accepted: Yes
- Students should have the equivalent of a 3.2 on a 4.0 GPA grade scale. Borderline students may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- Students must be well beyond their second year of study during the exchange period.
Language of Instruction
English Proficiency Requirements
- Minimum TOEFL iBT score – 80
- Minimum TOEFL ITP score -- 543
- Minimum IELTS overall band score – 6.0
- Minimum TOEIC score – 790 (containing both the modules 'Speaking and Writing' and 'Listening and Reading')
- Cambridge -- C2 Proficiency or C1 Advanced (A, B, or C)
- DAAD language test -- GER B2, UNIcert II, ALTE Level 3
You are exempt from providing proof of English proficiency if you are: a national from Australia, Canada (English-speaking territories), Denmark, Finland, Ireland, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, UK or USA.
Fall, Spring or Academic Year
Academic Calendar | Semester Dates (including exam period)
- Fall: 6 September - 4 February
- Spring: 9 February - 8 July
Please note that some faculties plan resits after the end of the semester. Take this into account when making a study plan with your advisor.
- Advanced Technology
- Applied Mathematics
- Applied Physics
- Biomedical Engineering
- Business Information Technology
- Chemical Science & Engineering
- Civil Engineering
- Communication Science
- Computer Science
- Construction Management & Engineering
- Creative Technology
- Educational Science & Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Embedded Systems
- Geo-Information Science and Earth Observation
- Industrial Design Engineering
- Industrial Engineering & Management
- International Business Administration
- Interaction Technology
- Internet Science & Technology
- Management, Society and Technology
- Mechanical Engineering
- Philosophy of Science, Technology and Society
- Spatial Engineering
- Sustainable Energy Technology
- Systems and Control
- Technical Computer Science
Workload per Semester
The regular full-time workload is 30 ECTS credits per semester (1 European Credit ~ 28 hours study load).
Additional Application Materials
Students nominated by IIE to Twente also need to submit the following documents digitally and complete the Twente online application:
- An original transcript of records in English; outlining completed courses and results obtained during your Bachelor, Master or other previous education.
- A valid international passport (all pages of your passport, including the blank ones)
Recommendation letter from a professor or academic staff:
After the application deadline, submitted documents will be assessed and processed by the faculty coordinators to decide upon admission. Students will be informed about their acceptance by email as soon as the process is completed.
Global E3 exchange students apply for furnished on-and off campus accommodation as a regular step in the application procedure at the Student Affairs & Services Department of the University of Twente. GE3 exchange students are guaranteed to receive an offer for furnished accommodation.
Estimated Cost of Living
Cost of Living
Office Responsible for International Exchange Students
International Student Services | email@example.com
The city of Enschede lies in the eastern part of the Netherlands, a few kilometers from the Dutch-German border, 170 km (100 miles) away from Amsterdam Schiphol Airport (it takes 2 hours by direct train). With about 160,000 inhabitants, Enschede is the largest city of the eastern Netherlands.
Enschede just wouldn’t be the same without its students. The city is home to University of Twente, Saxion University of Applied Sciences, a conservatory, a pop academy and an art academy. The diversity of students from different fields creates a vibrating and energetic group, organizing a wide variety of events throughout the year.
Enschede offers also a wide range of interesting cultural events, as well as shopping opportunities with shops, cafés, restaurants, bars and clubs centered around de Oude Markt (Old Market Square).
Enschede is also one of the greenest cities in the Netherlands. Sun seekers, watersport fans, nature lovers and anyone who wants to escape his/her daily routine can head for Lake Rutbeek or one of the many parks for recreation. For rainy Sundays, the amusement park Go Planet offers many different indoor leisure time activities, like bowling, go-cart racing or diving, to enjoy.