Institut National des Sciences Appliquées, Lyon (INSA Lyon)
University Info | Exchange Student Info
- HIGH QUALITY AND INNOVATIVE EDUCATION
- Pedagogy by project
- Cutting-edge research
- Stong links with industries (many internships in companies)
- INTERNATIONAL OUTREACH
- International campus : 30 % of international students / 84 nationalities
- Courses taught in English
- INTERNATIONAL STUDENTS SUPPORT
- French as a Foreign language courses (summer and winter classes + all year)
- One academic advisor in each department dedicated to incoming students
- CAMPUS LIFE
- On-campus residences
- 4 on-campus restaurants
- More than 130 students associations
- Many students festivals (24H de l’INSA : biggest students’ festival in France)
- LYON, BEST LOCATION FOR STUDENTS IN FRANCE
- #1 Best university city in France (ranking 2017/2018, l’Etudiant magazine) -
- 2nd largest city in France and well-located to travel in France and in Europe
- Presence of a US consulate
- Classified to the UNESCO World Heritage
- High quality of life (well-developed transportation, many green spaces…)
Located on the premises of the Science and Technological Park of la Doua in Villeurbanne, INSA Lyon is ranked among the top universities of Science and Technology in Europe, pluridisciplinary and international, at the heart of the European Higher Education Area.
Over a 5-year curriculum it trains humanist multi-competent engineers who are both innovative and entrepreneurial. INSA Lyon applies a policy of excellence implemented at all levels. INSA Lyon was the first INSA to be created in 1957 and has always had a strong ambition in terms of social awareness. It graduates over 800 engineers each year in 9 fields of specialisation. International perspective has always been a priority for the establishment which has progressively set up international options such as EURINSA, ASINSA and AMERINSA.
Today INSA Lyon sets a new challenge for itself: consolidate its position as one of the best Technological Higher Education Establishments in Europe. The University places pedagogical innovation at the core of its training programme in order to produce engineers who possess qualities of innovation and entrepreneurship.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students: Accepted*
- Graduate students: Accepted
- Computer Science majors: Accepted
*3rd, 4th and 5th year students
Research projects and work experience program available with all INSA departments.
Language of Instruction
French. Some courses are offered in English.
Fall, Spring, or Academic Year
Academic Calendar | Semester Dates (including exam period)
- Autumn Semester: September to January
- Spring Semester: February to June
The IST semester with courses taught entirely in English runs for 12 weeks from mid-September to December.
- Biochemistry and Biotechnologies
- Bioinformatics and Modelling
- Civil Engineering and Urbanism
- Electrical Engineering
- Energetics and Environmental Engineering
- Industrial Engineering
- Information Technology & Computer Engineering
- Materials Science and Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering and Plasturgy Processes
- Mechanical Engineering Design
- Mechanical Engineering Development
Details In French | Details In English
Workload per Semester
15 ECTS credits minimum
Additional Application Materials
Students nominated by IIE to INSA Lyon are also required to submit the INSA Lyon application and materials.
Students will receive their acceptance packet upon acceptance by departments.
Each student receives an application pack containing an accommodation reservation form which must be returned to INSA Lyon before the date shown on the document. More information can be found on the resident management office website.
Estimated Cost of Living
Food/meals – depending on the meal plan.
Housing – 312 € - 529 € per month (+ 300€ deposit + 30€ of general fees)
Local transportation – monthly travel rate campus 31€ (student under 28 years old)
Health Insurance – French student health insurance (217 €) is mandatory. Subscription to a complementary student health insurance is optional but strongly recommended. Good coverage cost is a minimum of 200 - 315 €.
International Agreements: International Relations Office
Contact: Dr Marie-Pierre Favre – firstname.lastname@example.org
Direction des Relations Internationales
34, avenue des Arts
69621 Villeurbanne CEDEX
In-coming Exchange Student Staff: Registrar’s Office
Contact: Magdalena CORNECI – email@example.com / firstname.lastname@example.org
Service de la Scolarité
bâtiment Camille Claudel
8 allée du Rhône
69621 Villeurbanne CEDEX
Where the Saône and the Rhône meet, Lyon has been listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1998. Former capital of the Gauls, the city bears witness to 2000 years of continuous history. Its remarkable heritage is enriched with signature buildings by contemporary architects such as: Renzo Piano, Jean Nouvel, Santiago Calatrava.
The city of Lyon - the second largest in France - numbers 1.2 million inhabitants, with more than 120,000 students. Situated at the heart of Europe, Lyon is steeped in history and culture. It has a rich industrial network which includes many large companies. Its international scope and exceptional cultural environment have made it a powerful centre of communication.
Lyon is easy to get to by car, train, bus or plane. Paris is only two hours from Lyon by train and many international and high speed trains (TGV) come into the city daily. 49 international and 30 domestic airlines pass through the Lyon-Saint-Exupéry airport. Paris-Charles de Gaulle airport is also easy to reach, in 2 hours train from the centre of Lyon.
Lyon is also a great university centre which attracts considerable numbers of students every year.