LTH - Faculty of Engineering
University Info | Faculty of Engineering Info | Exchange Student Info
Founded in 1666, Lund University is one of Europe's oldest universities and one of Scandinavia's largest institutions for education and research, consistently ranked among the world's top 100 universities. Located in the city of Lund in the Scania province, Sweden, the Lund University has eight faculties, with additional campuses in the cities of Malmö and Helsingborg, with 47,000 students, 6800 employees and almost 3000 research students.
The University offers over 100 Master’s programmes, 5 Bachelor’s programmes and 500 single subject courses taught in English. It is considered Sweden's strongest comprehensive research university and has been awarded more research funding than any other Swedish full-scale university.
Having the university’s largest campus, the Faculty of Engineering, Lunds Tekniska Högskola or “LTH” in Swedish, is among the leading engineering faculties in Europe, with more than 9 000 undergraduates and 800 postgraduates based both in Lund and at Campus Helsingborg.
The city of Lund is considered the best student city in Sweden and the top choice for international students due to its great student life.
Two major facilities for materials research are currently under construction in Lund: MAX IV, which will be a world-leading synchrotron radiation laboratory and European Spallation Source (ESS), a European facility that will be home to the world’s most powerful neutron source.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students: Accepted, but there are limited course offerings
- Most courses offered in English are at an advanced level, so undergraduates need to be at least in their third or fourth year. Courses at School of Industrial Design are only available for pure Industrial Design students.
- Graduate students: Accepted
- Computer Science and Technology: Accepted
Language of Instruction
Swedish and English
English Proficiency Requirements
Exchange students must have a high proficiency of English in order to succeed with their academic studies at Lund University, however, we do not require any official documentation, such as a TOEFL or IELTS test result, for incoming exchange students.
Fall, Spring, or Academic Year
Academic Calendar | Semester Dates (including exam period)
- Fall: late August to early January
- Spring: early January to mid June
- Architecture (limited course offerings)
- Biomedical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Civil Engineering (limited course offerings)
- Computer Science & Technology
- Electrical Engineering
- Engineering Biotechnology
- Engineering Mathematics
- Engineering Nano-Science
- Engineering Physics
- Environmental Engineering
- Industrial Design (limited course offerings)
- Industrial Management & Engineering
- Information & Communication Engineering
- Land Surveying & Management
- Mechanical Engineering
Workload per Semester
It is required for students to be enrolled in a full-time program of study while participating in the Lund University’s exchange program. Full-time studies is defined as 30 credits/semester or 60 credits/academic year.
Additional Application Materials
Students nominated by IIE to Lund must also complete the Lund online application and submit missing materials. NB! The application period is October 1st - 25th and April 1st - 25th.
Recommendation letter from a professor or academic staff:
The entire application process can take up to 6-8 weeks.
Lund is a small university city and the university’s departments and housing areas are spread throughout the city.
Estimated Cost of Living
Estimated Living Expenses
Office Responsible for International Exchange Students
International Office - LTH | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Lund is considered the best student city in Sweden with the unique combination of traditional student nations (social clubs), an academic society and student unions organising events and activities year round.
- In Lund, students can experience the rich history and cultural heritage of a Swedish medieval university town and at the same time be a part of the dynamic and international atmosphere created by Lund University students and staff.
- Lund is only 10 minutes away from Sweden’s third largest city and 40 minutes from the international airport in Copenhagen, making it a great hub for travel throughout Sweden and Europe.
- Swedes have the highest proficiency in English as a second language in the world - English is spoken by 89% of the population, allowing students to have a unique European experience without language barriers.
- Sweden is one of the safest countries in the world and ranked as one of the best in which to live.
- Sweden is ranked as the most creative country in the world, has one of the highest levels of gender equality and is well known for its eco-friendly culture.