City University of Hong Kong
Hong Kong, CHINA
University Info | College of Science and Engineering | Exchange Student Info
CityU offers professional education that prepares its students for the challenges and exciting opportunities opening up in Hong Kong, the Asia-Pacific region and throughout the world in business, science and engineering, energy and environment, law, creative media and social sciences. Through its extensive links with relevant industries, CityU provides real-life opportunities for students to work with and learn from professionals in the workplace, from bachelor degrees and postgraduate studies to associate degrees and continuing education.
CityU has achieved phenomenal growth since its establishment as a University in 1994. To date, it has a student population of more than 20,000 enrolled in more than 130 programmes at the associate degree, undergraduate and postgraduate levels.
Terms of Exchange
- Undergraduate students: Accepted
- Graduate students: NOT Accepted
- Computer Science majors: Accepted
Language of Instruction
The medium of instruction is English unless otherwise specified.
English Proficiency Requirements
- Minimum TOEFL iBT score – 79
- Minimum IELTS score – 6.5
- Minimum Chinese Mainland’s College English Test – Band 6
The English proficiency requirement can be waived if English is the teaching medium at the home university.
Fall, Spring, or Academic Year
Academic Calendar | Semester Dates (including exam period)
- Fall: early September to late December
- Spring: early January to mid-May
- Architecture and Civil Engineering (ACE)
- Biology and Chemistry (BCH)
- Computer Science (CS)
- Electronic Engineering (EE)
- Mathematics (MA)
- Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering (MBE)
- Physics and Materials Science (AP)
- Systems Engineering and Engineering Management (SEEM)
Course Descriptions | Schedule of Classes
A minimum of 9 credits per semester should be taken from courses offered by departments of the College of Science and Engineering.
Workload per Semester
Exchange students must register for at least 12 credits but not more than 18 credits in a single semester.
Additional Application Materials
Students nominated by IIE to CityU must also submit the following:
- Applicants must submit their application via online system: Account registration / Application login
- Academic Transcript
- Application for Student Residence
- Application form for Visa (ID995A)
- Proof of English Language Proficiency (if English is NOT the medium of instruction at their home university)
- Request for Visa Sponsorship & Student's Agreement
- Declaration by Financial Sponsor (Sample)
- Photocopies of financial documents under the name of applicant, e.g. bank statements, savings account passbooks, scholarship award notification, tax receipts and salary slips. If you are financially sponsored by another party, provide the sponsor's financial statements (do not send original documents as, once submitted, all documents are irretrievable)
Students will receive their acceptance packet in late June for the fall semester and in mid-November for the spring semester.
Exchange students may apply for accommodation at Student Residence. However, the provision of on-campus accommodation is not guaranteed.
Estimated Cost of Living
Estimated Cost of Living
A basic student budget is estimated to be HK$4,500 (per month) including meals, transport, laundry and education expenses for books and stationery. Please refer to the website of the Student Residence Office for on-campus accommodation fees.
Office Responsible for International Exchange Students
Co-operative Education Centre, College of Science and Engineering
Name: Ms Tammy CHAN
Post: Inbound Exchange Coordinator
Telephone: (852) 3442-6562
Fax: (852) 3442-0106
Discover Hong Kong